Conformal Coating Selection Guide
Conformal coating is a film-forming process that protects printed circuit boards (PCBs) and sensitive electronic assemblies, components, and devices from various contaminants. Selecting a conformal coating for your electronic assemblies should address potential challenges the application faces during use to provide sufficient protection for optimal performance. View our guide on how to choose the best conformal coating for your PCB.
Benefits of Conformal Coatings
Our Ultimate Guide to Conformal Coating offers essential insights into protecting your PCB assemblies and electronic devices from harmful contaminants. Providing adequate protection for your electronic assemblies is crucial to the performance and lifespan of your device. Conformal coatings offer a host of benefits for your PCBs, including circuit reliability and longevity. With the ability to prevent PCB contamination from dirt, moisture, and dust, as well as provide resistance to rust, abrasion, chemical exposure, mechanical stress, and vibrations, applying a conformal coating extends the life of your electronic components and applications and reduces failure. Our conformal coating solutions include options for:
Conformal coatings with acrylic materials provide mild protection from various contaminants. Acrylic coatings are ideal for applications that require resistance to humidity, salt water, dust, and fungus but cannot protect against harsh chemicals. Coatings using acrylic resins are great for your electronic assemblies in architectural, decorative, and industrial applications. Plasma Ruggedized offers many acrylic coating solutions including, but not limited to:
- SanCryl 300: An acrylic-based conformal coating with excellent moisture resistance and electrical insulation properties, an ideal protective conformal coating for your PCB.
- Humiseal 1B31S: A transparent acrylic coating designed to protect electronic components from moisture, dust, and environmental contaminants.
- Konform AR: An acrylic conformal coating that protects your electronic assemblies from harsh environments and offers good dielectric properties.
- Conap CE-1170: An acrylic-based conformal coating known for excellent humidity resistance and insulation properties.
Using polyurethane conformal coating offers robust protection for electronic assemblies. While providing additional protection than acrylic coatings, polyurethane coatings are characterized by flexibility, chemical resistance, and abrasion resistance. Polyurethane conformal coatings are ideal for your electronic assemblies within industries like aerospace, where moisture and chemical resistance are required for performance. Our polyurethane coating selection includes:
- Humiseal UV40: A UV-curable polyurethane conformal coating designed for rapid curing and reliable protection for your electronic assemblies and PCB applications.
- Arathane 5753 A/B LV Urethane Casting Compound: A low-viscosity polyurethane casting compound used for encapsulation and protection of electronic devices.
- Conathane CE-1155: A polyurethane-based coating known for its flexibility and resistance to abrasion, ideal for a variety of electronic assemblies.
- Humiseal 2A64: A polyurethane conformal coating with excellent moisture resistance and thermal stability, suitable for your electronic assemblies within demanding applications.
A type of coating with superior protection, epoxy coatings offer more resistance than polyurethane-, silicone-, and acrylic-based coatings. While not as flexible as other conformal coating options, epoxies resist common contaminants like moisture and offer increased protection against harsh chemicals and abrasion. Epoxy coatings are excellent for your PCB in challenging environments, like transportation electronic assemblies and oil and gas industries. Conformal coatings using epoxies from Plasma Ruggedized include the following:
- Kryptos, Kronos: These epoxy-based conformal coatings are known for their excellent chemical resistance and mechanical strength.
- CircaLOK™ 6037 Epoxy Resin: An epoxy resin designed for various applications, featuring exceptional protection and durability.
- Sandstrom 26AV-10: An epoxy coating with high thermal conductivity, typically used for thermal management and protection for electronic components.
- Cho-Shield Conductive Coating: Epoxy-based conductive coatings excellent for EMI/RFI shielding applications.
Protecting applications in a range of temperatures, silicone coatings are a highly flexible solution. Silicone coatings feature good chemical resistance and protection from salt spray and moisture. Due to the rubberiness of the material, silicone offers great resilience in assemblies with high vibration but does not provide abrasion resistance. Excellent for your PCB in high-humidity environments, silicone coating can be found in marine applications, RC circuits, and aerospace and transportation industries. Silicone coating offerings from Plasma Ruggedized are:
- Humiseal 1C49, 1C51: Silicone conformal coatings known for their flexibility, moisture resistance, and high-temperature performance.
- Dow Corning 3-1965: A silicone-based conformal coating offering excellent protection against moisture and environmental contaminants.
A unique group of conformal coatings using vapor phase deposition technology, parylene coatings are known for exceptional thin-film protection and dielectric properties. Parylene coatings provide superior resistance to moisture, chemical exposure, and extreme temperatures. Applied as a powder and providing an incredibly thin and impressive protection layer, parylene coatings offer excellent protection for your PCB in various electronic equipment, including marine applications and medical devices. Parylene conformal coatings are available in the following forms:
- Parylene XY-C Dimer: A precursor material used in the parylene coating process.
- Blue Spark: A specialized, fluorescing parylene coating designed for medical and bioelectronics applications.
- MEMS Nanotechnology: These parylene-based coatings are used for the protection of Micro-Electromechanical Systems (MEMS) devices and nanotechnology applications.
Plasma Ruggedized Solutions Has Quality Conformal Coating for Your PCB
Proud to offer premium coating services and materials, we are your trusted resource for conformal coating services and electronics potting and encapsulation. Contact Plasma Ruggedized for more information on our complete conformal coating selection, including insight into our custom-formulated proprietary coating materials. You can also view our coating selection table or request a quote.